Wednesday, July 9, 2008

In the Blogosphere, But Not of the Blogosphere

Yesterday I got lost in the tech ed blogosphere and ignored all other responsibilities until after lunchtime. I spent two hours trying to compose a comment to a post I disagreed with. When I mistakenly hit the wrong key and the post was gone forever, I took it as a sign that I should back off. Then I made the mistake of reading a comment to another post that made me feel like a total dork which sent me into a mad funk. The post made fun of teachers at NECC who were starstruck at meeting ed tech consultants who author widely-read blogs and books on ed tech topics. The post also made some dig about teachers who blog about blogging. [I didn't meet any bloggers at NECC, but I did blog about how cool it was to be there with them.]

I had hoped that I would some day feel a part of the ed tech online community. That's not going to happen. There are too many Senators and not enough constituents at that table. I don't have time for anything that's so disconnected from all the work I am doing right here in my own community.

So, if I am not blogging so I can enter the ed tech blogosphere and if no one I know reads my blog, why do it? I don't know. Maybe because I hope that one day some of my colleagues will begin to blog. Maybe because I like to write while thinking. Maybe because I want to share some of my ideas with anyone who might drop by from my website. So far, this is working for me.

2 comments:

Carey said...

Theda,
I have been enjoying reading your blog now that I know of it's existence. Don't quit! I find your thoughts interesting and your enthusiasm contagious. I will be at the ACS IMPACT training next week, and I can't wait to learn more about NECC from you!
Carey
AHS

Theda Rudd said...

I am really looking forward to our IMPACT workshop. I want to firm up the details of how we can begin to use these tools with our students. I look forward to seeing you on Tuesday!