Monday, July 14, 2008

Another Visit to Orientation Island


I returned to Orientation Island this morning. On the NECC 2008 ning, I read a post by a fellow teacher who also lamented (as I often have) about wanting to check out Second Life but not being able to do anything but fly around Orientation Island. A wonderful fellow told her he would be happy to help her and any others who were stuck there.

Just knowing that someone else was struggling like I did, just knowing that one successful Second Life person would help, rather than make fun of me, gave me the confidence to try again.

I am still on Orientation Island, but now I know how to fly and how to use a Segueway and a car. I know how to use a torch and put on a different shirt. I know how to read a notecard. I am making progress.

As insanely stupid as it sounds, my overriding desire is the same as it was when I tried this a year ago. As soon as I get off Orientation Island, I am going to go straight to Diagon Alley. I can't wait! And who knows where else I might go? What if there is Ender's Battle School or, more importantly, what if I could visit those piggies on Lusitania?

And I wouldn't mind trying to find out where those SL edtech people are hanging out.

In Second Life the stories will be happening in real time, and I will be a character in the story who is helping write the story.

I am such a reader and such a geek. I can't even stand myself.

No comments: