Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Is the Juice Worth the Squeeze?

What squeeze?

I should have live-blogged the conversation. Yesterday was the first day of our SILSA retreat. After lunch we had a lively conversation about technology in the classroom. Apparently not everyone is as eager to push Web 2.0 into the classroom as I am. Some people may think that others of us might be using technology egregiously, technology just for the sake of technology. Others seem to worry that teachers may devote too much instructional time to teaching how to use the technology, rather than spending those instructional minutes on subject-specific content.

I am afraid I became rather bombastic. At least I was among friends! For example, I accused one friend of being a Luddite. (He is a history teacher friend, so he then attempted to teach me about the mills and why they were dismantled in the first place.) At another point, I responded to a friend by saying, "Well, we could have them write on slates or use quill and ink!"

Our tech facilitator/lead teacher sensibly suggested that we should all incorporate technology at a level with which we feel comfortable.

As always, I wasn't nearly as eloquent as I wished I were. I was surprised to find myself on the defensive. I wasn't the enthusiastic, well-versed English Teacher 2.0 that I hope to be. I have much work to do!

1 comment:

Peggy Weaver said...

Hi Theda! I am so impressed and amazed at your zeal and courage and supreme COOLness. I'm trying not to be intimidated, especially since I'm allegedly the professional expert on all of this stuff. You inspire me to learn all I can. By the way: we have a copy of David Warlick's Classroom Blogging book in the media center.....but it's the FIRST edition. (How retro: it's about a year old.) But feel free to come borrow it. I'm going to forward your blog site to Norah....although she is pretty swamped right now. Inch by inch, row by row. Right? See you soon!

Peggy