Saturday, August 4, 2007

From Theory to Practice

Now, this is the tricky part! All summer I have been learning and dreaming and researching and thinking. I enjoy all of those tasks immensely, and summer break is such a welcome opportunity to reconnect with the theories of education. Also, I love being in the classroom with my students, never a dull moment. But, this transitional part is hard for me. I have one and a half weeks until the First Day of School. Out of all of that enjoyable learning and dreaming, what will get translated into practice in my classroom this year?

Right now I must make important decisions about year-long planning and assessment and classroom design and what to say the first fifteen minutes. And, in the spirit of digital literacy issues, the concern is an abundance of information, not a scarcity of information. Out of all of this sound educational research, what makes most sense to me? What resonates with me so perfectly that I can seamlessly integrate it into my own teaching? What gives me such anxiety that I know it is an issue I must tackle in my own practice?

Our school's retreat begins on Tuesday. We will meet from 8:30-3:00 in the media center. Afterward, in pairs, we will go and visit the homes of our new students. I admit that, on some level, I felt closer to the students whose homes I visited last year. When I looked at them, I knew exactly where they came from. And, I know that their families felt more comfortable contacting me because they had spent some time with me in their space. It takes some extra effort to have home visits, but I think the benefits are substantial.

No comments: