Friday, July 27, 2007

Meeting with the Technology Facilitator

I did it! I met with the technology facilitator briefly yesterday afternoon. I went to school to drop off something, and she was there working. I described what I wanted to do with blogs, wikis, and podcasts. I assured her that I had safety concerns that I knew we would need to address, but I thought the right person would know how we could handle those concerns. She made good notes and said she would speak to the central office person who would know how to proceed! A victory!




I know that some teachers manage these new technologies for themselves, and I absolutely admire their determination and pioneer spirit. In my district, though, we have a clearly defined Instructional Technology organization. Usually technology integration happens when technology facilitators present new technologies to teachers.




I must acknowledge that I am going through this process almost backwards. I am sure that the person just above my own technology facilitator has spent a good bit of time thinking about Web 2.0 in the classroom. That's why I am so glad my technology facilitator made notes and said she would put in a call. And, while all of this may seem very cumbersome, as a teacher I absolutely appreciate our Instructional Technology structure. I am not a technologist. I appreciate that this structure means I won't set off on a virtual field trip to SL's Globe Theatre without someone else making sure this is a safe Internet use for teachers and students.





As soon as I get another paycheck, there are a few things I am going to buy. I want a copy of David Warlick's book:




and I would like to join ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education). There may be a few other things I add to my wish list as I learn more, but, for now, those seem like the two must-haves.

[Added 07/28/07: a digital camera. I desperately need to add photos to my blog and website!]

I wished I already had a copy of Warlick's book yesterday. I would have given it to my technology facilitator, and I am sure it would have described what I am hoping to accomplish much more eloquently than I did.

PS Sometimes the paragraph spacing in my posts changes without my asking it to do so. For the sake of clarity, I am not trying to emphasize certain passages with my spacing! ;-)

No comments: